Thursday, May 3, 2012

Russian Kale Salad and Some Gluten Free Croutons







When I went to farmer's market I picked up some lovely Russian Kale. What to do with these tender, almost sweet lovelies. Then it hit me: "In the Kitchen with a Good Appetite" by Melissa Clark has the best recipe for a salad - it's uncomplicated and delicious. The salad comes together with just a handful of ingredients, kale, pecorino cheese, lemon, garlic, olive oil, and breadcrumbs. What more can anyone ask for, quick and delicious.  A poached egg or some beans round out the salad and makes it a meal.

When I went to plate the salad, my husband reminded me that he couldn't have the croutons. He was pleasantly surprised that I made him the best gluten free croutons ever.

To make your own gluten free croutons slice up about three pieces of bread into manageable cubes. I used Udi's whole grain bread. Toss the cubes with about1 tablespoon of garlic infused olive oil and bake  at 350 for 12 minutes, turning at  7 minutes. I like to have some around to add to our dinner salad and they keep for about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment