Thursday, May 24, 2012

Light and Fresh Carrot Salad



When my son was very young we would go to the park and play almost everyday. It was there that we met so many playmates. One of these friends was a little boy, Tomas, from Argentina. It was through his mama that I learned how to make this easy delicious salad.


I say that it is simple because it relies on five ingredients. If you have a couple of hard boiled eggs on hand then you are almost there, and it comes together so effortlessly.





Start by grating carrots on the coarse side of a grater. I use about three carrots if it is for myself and five if I am serving 2. You can buy already grated carrots if you like. 


To the grated carrots add one tablespoon red wine vinegar, a bit more for a double serving. Add some fresh ground pepper and one quarter teaspoon salt. Toss to coat all of the carrot bits. Taste and adjust to your personal preference. I like less vinegar than my son. 


I serve one egg per person. Chop up the white part of each egg, or use the whole egg if you like.


Before serving, add the chopped egg white and give the salad a couple of extra grinds of pepper.


There you have it, Argentinian ensalada de zanahoria. Some people give the whole salad a drizzle before serving, you make the call on that one. I've also read that the salad is also served without the egg.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! This sounds like the perfect thing to have today! Are those the eggs from the pretty egg stall?

    When I first met Tomy, I thought his name was "Tomino" because his mom kept saying "Tomy, no." LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I get the eggs from a man who raises Icelandic chickens and sheep. Tomino, I like that. No was often used in reference to Tomy now that you've jogged my memory.

    ReplyDelete