Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Gluten Free Energy Bites.

I was going to talk about a mishap in my kitchen involving that cute little terrier from yesterday, but I am having trouble uploading the evidence. So I will share a recipe that I make about once a week. I first stumbled upon them on the blog Smashed Peas and Carrots.

Theses little guys are a snack staple in our house. They pack well and are pretty flexible as far as recipes go. They can be vegan, gluten free, or paleo friendly depending on what you add to the mix. The other great thing about them is that they don't require baking, so you can make them without turning on the oven.

The things that I don't deviate from are the oats, coconut, and honey. I choose to use honey because it is the glue that binds everything. A friend has used corn syrup and a other agave, I hear that they both work. For the nut butter I use Sunbutter, but peanut butter works great too.  The rest of the ingredients are pretty flexible. I try to stay on the healthy side and add chopped dried fruit and raw seeds or nuts. My favorite combination is dried cherries and toasted sliced almonds that have crushed.


No Bake Energy Bites. (makes about 18 to 20 small bites)

1    cup    oatmeal
1/2 cup    nut butter
1/3 cup    honey
1    cup    coconut flakes
1/2 cup    ground flaxseed
1    cup    mix ins (chocolate chips, seeds, nut, dried fruit)

Mix everything in a bowl till completely incorporated, I use a stand mixer that makes quick work of the process. Chill the mixture for 30 minutes. Use a scoop to make little 1 oz balls. You might need to roll them out in your hands. Enjoy. They are tasty and keep well in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment