Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Coffee Magic

I love coffee and coffee loves me. I've tried to send it away and have said goodbye for a few weeks at a time. But I think that it was just waiting on the other side of the door, waiting patiently for me to call it back into my life. I think that it is just that ritual in the morning of pouring a hot cup of coffee and sitting down somewhere comfy to start my day.


But what to do when the weather turns warm and balmy? Why turn to iced coffee of course. Iced coffee is easy to love once you figure out it's quirky nature. You can cheat and start with brewed coffee that has been cooled. But why not start with coffee intended for a cup of ice and not leftovers.


I think that Pioneer Woman has the perfect method. But for me I like to make smaller batches, besides that big container wouldn't fit in my refrigerator. I choose to make a quart at a time. It is a small enough jug to fit into even the most space challenged fridge. 


I start with a quart sized canning jar. To it I add 3/4 to 1 cup of coarsely ground coffee.


I like to add about 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon cardamom. I also add 1/4 cup natural sugar at this time.


Now it's time to add the water. I add just enough cold filtered water to sit below the neck of the jar. I use a long chopstick to stir the coffee grinds into the water. They will want to float, just keep stirring and they will hydrate and most of them will want to sink. Once all of the grinds are stirred in and the sugar is dissolved, you might have to add a bit more water to bring it back up to the neck of the jar. 

Put it in the refrigerator and let it sit overnight. I've forgotten about my jar and have let it go as long as 24 hours at a time. 

I like to strain the coffee twice. Once with a fine mesh sieve and then a second time with a coffee filter in the sieve. I think that it goes faster with my method. You can try and strain it once with the filter in place, but it is a much longer process. 

It's ready to pour over ice with a splash of milk or half and half. It is pure magic in a cup. 


If you want to make Thai iced coffee, omit the sugar at the beginning of the process. Add 2 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk and a splash of milk to your coffee. 

Any way that you make it, you won't be disappointed. Happy coffee drinking.


1 comment: