Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Strawberry Sorbet, Summer In A Bowl

When I was a teen, I would go to summer camp up in the the Angeles National Forest. One of the highlights of the week was a hike along Strawberry Creek. We would take a packed lunch and make our trek up the path, following the creek till we came to a clearing  where we would stop and eat our lunch and then head back to camp. All along the creek were wild strawberry plants and when we stopped for lunch we would feast on these ripe fragrant gems.

The scent of pine underbrush and ripe fresh strawberries still take me back there to my youth when everything was so simple.

While at farmer's market I spied the first of the ripe fragile delights of my youth. These berries are not the supermarket variety. They more intense, more fragile, more fleeting in their loveliness. So I took a few quart home, cleaned them and put them away to think about what to do with them.

With the first two quarts I made a sorbet. The process was simple and the end result made me look like a superhero. We all stood around the ice cream maker as it turned and worked it's magic. With a dollop of whipped cream, heavenly.

Tomorrow I will share with you the process that I use to make this summer delight. It is the same process that I use to make sorbet and granita.

I hope that your day is a wonderful one.

No comments:

Post a Comment