Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Fried Rice At Home


Have you ever been to a Chinese restaurant and had a box of leftover rice? Or, perhaps you made a pot of rice for dinner and had some left in the pot. For me and my family, I make rice and then store the remains in the refrigerator. But to be honest, very rarely does it have a second go at the table.

The perfect solution for all of that rice is to make fried rice. I will go on rampages making fried rice for days. Everyone consumes it enthusiastically, like it is the best food ever. But as my crusade to save all unused rice marches on the enthusiasm  diminishes. Then I give it up and go back to my usual way of storing the little bits of leftovers and disposing of it at the end of the week.

For now I am in a fried rice kick and my family is in love with it once again. It is a perfect summer breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It comes together quickly and does not require the oven.

It is really flexible and so many veggies and proteins can be added to it. The only one requirement is that you have about four cups of leftover brown or white rice that is to the is cold.

For this batch I used sliced snow peas, diced bell pepper, green onion, and two eggs.

You will also need 1 tablespoon grated ginger and 1 clove of garlic minced, 2 tablespoons of oil, 1 teaspoon  sesame oil, and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce.


Start by measuring and prepping all of your ingredients.

To a large pan add one tablespoon of oil, when hot add the garlic and ginger and give them a quick stir. Cook for no more than 30 seconds and quickly add your veggies. Cook the veggies til they are just warmed through. I cook them for about one minute. Now it is time to add the rice, keep moving everything around till rice is once again hot.

Make a well in the center and add a bit more oil and then the eggs. Cook the eggs till they are scrambled and mix them into the rice mixture. Drizzle with soy sauce and sesame oil. Garnish with more green onion and serve. This version is much lighter than one you will find at a restaurant and more like what is served at home.



2 comments:

  1. YUM. I think we're going to have to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First you will have to prevent your brother from eating all the rice. :)

    ReplyDelete