Monday, April 30, 2012

Millet and Flax Gluten Free Bread








Since going gluten free my family has cut back on consuming bread. There are a lot of great gf bread companies out there but they are expensive and I really like to make my own. I've tried many times to come up with a recipe that works for me. I've had mixed results. Sometimes I have a hard rubbery line that runs across the bottom of the loaf from it falling in on itself. But mostly I'm not impressed with the flavor.
 
There really is a learning curve that is independent of regular bread making. The lack of gluten is one of the main issues. It's like building a house without a solid frame. The other big variable is the flour and it's interaction with the other flours. My favorite flours include millet, flax, oatmeal, almond, potato, and coconut.

A few weeks ago a friend had a loaf of millet flax bread from Sami's Bakery. I love the flavor and honestly it does not taste like a piece of gf bread. So now that I know what I love in a bread, I went in search of a recipe that fit the bill. I found this recipe from Gluten Free Mommy. I made this recipe as written and took good notes on actual weight of the various flours. The bread came out fabulous. She has some tips for success when making bread on her blog. Oh, I might tweak this recipe a bit but I have to say that it is pretty close to Sami's and I'm happy with the results. You can find the recipe by clicking on the link above.

No comments:

Post a Comment