Thursday, April 26, 2012

Farmers Market Day, Boalsburg










One of the really nice thing about living in Happy Valley is the access to great local produce. On any given day there is is a farmer's market near us with fresh seasonal produce. I love the Boalsburg market. It runs year round, at the old fire station in the winter and at the Military Museum the rest of the year.
Yesterday was the the first outdoor market. Since it is still so early in the year there are fewer vendors selling their goods. It was a cold blustery day with a mixed bag of weather. It was nice to see a new food truck. He had a small menu, offering pork soft tacos and black bean with goat cheese tamales. They were a small tasty very late lunch. He also had fresh red and green salsa. I wonder what else he will offer. 

As far as fresh produce, I picked up some lovely rhubarb, mache, young fresh garlic,and eggs. I already have plans for the fresh garlic. I've never cooked with it, but I had just read an article about young garlic in a new Fine Cooking magazine and had to get me a bunch to try. 

I'm a big believer in buying local and being close to my food. I try to feed my family as much whole food as possible. With my garden coming along and such great local farmers that offer up the best from Mother Nature it's easy.  

So what are you waiting for? Check out your local farmer's market and whip up something magical. 


No comments:

Post a Comment