Thursday, April 19, 2012

What's For Breakfast

I'll admit that there are times when all I want for breakfast is a cup of coffee or most likely two or three cups. But then I rethink that thought and head to the kitchen for something healthier and more substantial. I have three   breakfasts that I always turn to.

Oatmeal is one of my go to breakfasts. It is easy and quick,with very little cleanup. I like to cook my oatmeal on the stove with the water and oats in the pan together at the start, I think that it produces a creamier and more indulgent oatmeal. I have to admit that I only like oatmeal when I have fresh berries to add to the mix. The other add ins that I love in my oatmeal are ground flax, chia seeds, and just a bit of local honey.
My other go to breakfast is a smoothie. Sometimes with all the bells and whistles and sometimes just a nice plain concoction of fruit and nut milk. I find that a ripe banana is all that I need to make it sweet enough for my taste. My smoothies are sometimes green and like this one, sometimes pink.
My last go to breakfast is just some green juice. I make a big batch and store individual servings in glass jars. I find that you can store freshjuice for up to three days without much deterioration of all the nutrients. It isn't a perfect way to juice, but with hectic lives it is a way to drink fresh juice daily. I like to add green apples, celery, lemon, ginger, cucumber, and parsley. Ingredients that rotate for me include carrots, kale, chard, and romaine leaves.

So those are the three breakfasts that I like to start my day with. Oh there is the occasional pancake or waffle, but I save those for weekend treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment