Sunday, April 22, 2012

Granola Gluten Free Style

I've been making granola forever, or so it seems. I've tried lots of recipes from various cookbooks. But many recipes use a lot of oil. I like my granola calories to come from the seeds and fruit. The inspiration for my current rendition comes from Progressive Pioneer's blog, here. Amy's recipe is grain free. I will have to try it that way.
The star of my granola is always gluten free oats. I buy Bob's Red Mill gluten free oats. But I also love Jules oats, and always include a bag when I place an order for her lovely flour. I use two cups of oats.
I like to add flaked coconut, sliced almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax meal, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.

Once all of the oats and mix in are combined, I add the oil and honey. I only use a small amount of oil, maybe a 1/8 cup. I used sunflower oil this time, feel free to use any neutral flavored oil that you have around the kitchen.  I used about 1/3 cup honey and mixed it all up. 

Spread out the granola on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. I stir half way through the baking time. Watch the granola carefully, it will cook quickly with all of the nuts and honey. Better to stir often to avoid burning around the edges. 


Cool completely before breaking into bits and storing. Granola never really lasts longer than a couple of days in our house. Tony loves it as a snack. This recipe is his favorite combination. Sometimes I will add dried cherries or cranberries or apricots. Add any fruit after the granola has cooled. 

Any way that you make your granola, it will be free of preservatives. As an added bonus, you control the quality of the ingredients that goes into your food. That's important to me, I like to know what's in my food. Feel free to ask questions in the comment section and I will try to clarify any of the instructions that I may have been a bit vague on.

No comments:

Post a Comment